Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I stay informed about Parkside?
- What can I do to support Parkside Elementary?
- How do I register my child at Parkside Elementary School?
- It's snowing. Is there school today?
- When will I have a parent/teacher conference with my child's teacher?
- What are the Parkside rules for good behavior?
- What if my child will be absent or late?
- Can I visit my child's school/classroom during school hours?
- Can my child eat breakfast and/or lunch at school?
- What time should I drop off/pick up my child?
- What is the dress code at Parkside?
- Does Parkside have a lost and found?
- What if my child needs to take medicine at school?
- What is the daily schedule for Parkside Elementary School?
Checking this website often is a great way to stay informed. You will also receive notes, calls, and newsletters from our school office. We schedule November and March parent/teacher conferences and formal report cards go home at the end of each semester in February and again at the end of the year. We also give progress reports in the middle of each semester - at the fall and spring parent/teacher conferences. We find that consistent communication improves the education of our kids, so contact your child's teacher or our school office with any questions or comments.
Parkside has some of the most involved and active parents in the entire state. Here are some ways you can help:
- Join the Parkside PTA - Please contact the Parkside Office for more information.
- Be a volunteer - Volunteer applications are available in our school office or on the Tenino School District website.
- Collect Campbell’s Soup Labels and turn them into the Parkside Office.
- Collect Box Tops for Education box tops and turn them into the Parkside Office.
- Sign up for a Target credit card and select Parkside Elementary School beneficiary.
You'll find that registering your child at Parkside Elementary is easy. Just contact the school office with any questions. When you come to register your child, please bring:
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of immunizations
- Name/Address of previous school
- Proof of Residency (utility bill, contract to build, etc.)
- Your child must be 5 years of age on or before August 31st to enroll in Kindergarten
Parents and guardians, please call our information line at 360-264-6602 to learn about closures, delays, and school events. You can also sign up for Flash Alert at www.flashalert.net/.
We schedule parent/teacher conferences in November and March. Report cards go home at the end of each semester in February and at the end of the school year. Parents, please make every effort to meet with your child's teacher. We will also arrange to meet for additional conferences at your request. We find that consistent communication between school and home allows us to support each other, so contact your child's teacher as soon as you feel a need.
Parkside students follow three basic rules of good behavior. These rules help us maintain a safe, productive school where our kids learn, develop, and have fun.
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Safe
We request that you discuss these rules with your children to be certain they understand each of them. We recognize and affirm good behavior and success. We acknowledge and reward those students who consistently follow the school rules. Students receive recognition in the following ways:
- Teacher or principal praise and recognition
- Special privileges
- Recognition/comment on report cards and parent/teacher conferences
- Positive Penguin Buttons and certificates
- Parents notified - written comments
- Call to parents
- Recognition assemblies
- Lunch with the principal
- Classroom rewards for good behavior
If a student must miss school due to illness or an emergency, we ask parents to telephone the school between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. to report the absence. If we do not receive a call, we will telephone you to make sure you are aware of the student’s absence. Parkside follows this policy to ensure students’ safety. If we have had no parent contact regarding a student’s absence, please send a written excuse signed by a parent or guardian upon returning to school.
Tardy students report directly to the school office for a late slip before joining their class.
We welcome and encourage visiting parents. Please call and arrange the visit with your child's teacher. We ask that you please report to the office when you arrive at the building. We will give you a visitor's welcome badge and any necessary instructions. Involved parents really make a difference. Your participation sets a great example for our students.
We serve hot lunches each school day from 11:50 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. to all grades. Children eat a hot lunch or sack lunch under the supervision of their teacher or educational assistant in the classroom. Students may purchase lunch and milk in the school library each morning before school. Parents, we encourage you to purchase a convenient monthly lunch ticket for your child. Any unused days will carry over from month to month. We will reimburse you for any unused days at the end of the school year.
We serve breakfast from 8:00 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. each school day in the multipurpose room. Free and reduced-priced breakfasts and lunches are available to those who qualify. Please call 360-264-3821 for more information.
Parkside students do not arrive before 8:00 a.m. when supervision begins. School begins promptly at 8:15 a.m.
Parents, please use Park Avenue for delivery and pick up of all-day Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade students between the 8:00-8:15 a.m. and 2:35-2:40 p.m. times.
Parkside students avoid any distracting or potentially harmful clothing and accessories. We ask that students remove hats, caps, and bandanas while they are inside the building. Parents, please help your child make good choices about his/her clothing and accessories. For more information please see the student handbook located under students in the Menu located on the top of this page.
Our lost and found box is located in the office. If your child has lost something, please have him/her check in the school office. Parents are also welcome to come in and check for these items. Parents, please put your child's initials on his/her possessions. Twice yearly we donate unclaimed items to charitable organizations.
The school nurse may administer medication only if he/she has a signed note from a doctor. You may request this form in the school office. Parkside students should not have prescription or over-the-counter medicines in their possession while at school. Parents and students should give all medicines to the nurse for proper handling and dispensing. You and your child should keep prescription and over-the-counter medication in the original container, labeled with your child's name and correct dosage instructions. The nurse will call your child from the classroom for timely administration of medications.
- Parkside Elementary starts at 8:15 a.m. and ends at 2:35 p.m. for all-day Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades.
- Lunch is served at these times:
- Kindergarten - 11:30 a.m.
- 1st Grade - 11:45 a.m.
- 2nd Grade - 12:00 p.m.